Kurdish Politics and Society: Contemporary and Historical Perspectives
Please join us at this intensive summer school at the Kurdish Institute, Paris, focusing on Kurdish politics and society. The school is designed to engage postgraduate students (Master and PhD level) in the field of Kurdish Studies and the politics, society and culture of Kurds.
Dates: 3-6 September 2018
Place: Kurdish Institute, Paris
Registration Fees: 125 Euros (until 25 April 2018)
Registration fees cover tuition and venue costs.
Students will arrange and pay for their own accommodation and travel.
The school is subsidized by the Kurdish Institute and there are no additional funds or scholarships.
Keynote lecturers and panellists include:
- Dr Salih Akin (University of Rouen, France)
- Professor Hamit Bozarslan (EHESS, Paris, France)
- Dr Ipek Demir (University of Leicester, UK)
- Dr Cengiz Gunes (Open University, UK)
- Dr Choman Hardi (American University of Iraq)
- Dr Janet Klein (Akron, Ohio, US)
- Dr Clémence Scalbert-Yucel (University of Exeter, UK)
The lectures and workshops will be organized in line with the lecturers’ area of expertise. They will be delivered in English, and broadly in these areas:
Area 1: Kurdish Language and the Politics of Kurdish Language
Area 2: Kurdish Studies & Middle Eastern Studies: Methodological Issues
Area 3: Kurdish Diaspora and Transnationalism
Area 4: Kurdish Political Movement and Discourse
Area 5: Gender and Kurdish Studies
Area 6: History of Kurds and of Kurdistan
Area 7: Kurdish Literature and Culture
The format of each day is as follows:
1) Plenary/keynote lectures, outlining the main approaches and methods employed in their specific field (e.g. history).
2) 15 minute presentations by students which are then followed by feedback from at least one keynote speaker. Group discussion and feedback.
3) Closing session with two student rapporteurs summing up key insights from the day and closing statements.
Please fill in the attached application form.
You are welcome to apply as one of the following:
(a) as a presenter of a paper
(b) as an attendee
You will be able to indicate this on the application form.
Those wishing to present a paper, please include a long abstract (500-600 words) in the application form. Please note that both the word limit and the deadline are strict.
Send the application form to KurdishStudiesSummerSchool@gmail.com
Deadline: 12 March 2018, 12noon UK time.
Shortlisting will be finalised and communicated by 23 March 2018
Registration (for those who have been accepted) will open on 5 April 2018
Early Registration Deadline: 25 April 2018
Early Registration Fee: 125 Euros
Registration Fees after 25 April 2018: 200 Euros
Please note that this is not a conference but a teaching and learning event involving teaching sessions from senior scholars of Kurdish Studies. It is a unique opportunity and places are strictly limited.
In the event of the summer school being oversubscribed, participants may be selected according to the likely coherence of the sessions – this is not necessarily a reflection on the quality of work submitted.
Priority will be given to students who have not attended, but previous attendees are welcome to submit applications.
Please note that the Kurdish Institute in Paris unfortunately has no wheelchair access.
For the application form click below